Yesterday we asked you how good your Ben & Jerry’s IQ was, and gave away a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream to one lucky ice cream geek. Today we’re sharing the answers. For all the rich and creamy Ben & Jerry’s information that you can handle, find them online, on Facebook and Twitter.
True or False
- Ben & Jerry’s opened in 1978 in a old Fire Station in Burlington, Vermont
- In 1989, David Letterman announced the “Top Ten Least Popular Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Flavors” list which included “Zsa Zsa Gaboreo” and “Norieggnog.”
- Ben & Jerry’s sells lip balms in flavors like Mint Chocolate Cookie and Cookie Dough.
- In 1987, Ben & Jerry’s introduces its Cherry Garcia® ice cream flavor. Named for Ben & Jerry’s founder, Jerry Garcia.
- In 1983 Ben & Jerry’s ice cream was used to build “the world’s largest ice cream sundae” in St. Albans, Vermont.
- Ben & Jerry’s ran a two-pronged national search for a new CEO, by hiring a search firm and by holding a “YO! I’m Your CEO!” contest inviting 100 word applications from anyone interested in the job (First Prize) or in a lifetime supply of ice cream (Second Prize).
- You’ll find these flavors in the Flavor Graveyard: Noam Chompsky, Alice Scooper, Newark Super Sludge Chunk
- There are more Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops in Texas, Hawaii and Alaska than there are in Vermont.
- You can find Ben & Jerry’s in Singapore, Aruba and Israel.
- As part of an April Fools’ Day national launch of Ben & Jerry’s newest flavor, “Dilbert’s World™ Totally Nuts™,” the company teamed up with United Airlines to surprise two planeloads of passengers by deplaning them to arrival gates “cubicle-ized” to resemble comic strip character Dilbert’s totally nutty workplace world. All passengers were awarded reimbursement checks to cover their airfare, as well as samples of the new flavor.
- Ben & Jerry’s teamed up with Stephen Colbert for the flavor AmeriCone Dream. Colbert was determined to out-sell Willie Nelson’s new flavor, Peach Cobbler.
- Ben & Jerry’s doesn’t sell a Vanilla Ice Cream.
- FALSE: It was a rundown gas station
- True! – Also on the list: Raspberry Rash and Stuff-found-in-Ben-and-Jerry’s-Pockets
- True! – It also comes in Strawberry Kiwi and Chocolate Fudge Brownie
- FALSE – Cherry Garcia® ice cream flavor is named for guitarist Jerry Garcia, not owner Jerry Greenfield. It was the first ice cream named for a rock legend.
- True! – The sundae weighed 27,102 pounds.
- True! – They received over 22,000 applications!
- FALSE – Clever, but not real.
- FALSE – Vermont has 6 locations, Hawaii has 2 and Alaska and Texas each have zero. California has the most locations with 42, New York is second with 31 and Florida and Massachusetts each have 23.
- True! – You can also find Ben & Jerry’s in Turkey, Sweden, Norway, Hing Kong and more.
- True! – Check out the clip here.
- FALSE – Ben & Jerry’s current Vanilla ice cream is an evolved version of the formerly known French Vanilla. Today’s Vanilla ice cream uses Fair Trade Certified vanilla from the Ndali Estate in Uganda.