Do you buy bottled water? Here are some interesting facts you should check out:
- Plastic bottles take 700 years to begin composting
- 90% of the cost of bottled water is due to the bottle itself
- 80% of plastic bottles are not recycled
- 38 million plastic bottles go to the dump per year in America from bottled water (not including soda)
- 24 million gallons of oil are needed to produce a billion plastic bottles
- The average American consumes 167 bottles of water a year
- Bottling and shipping water is the least energy efficient method ever used to supply water
- Bottled water is the second most popular beverage in the United States
All that plus the massive mess Irene made of Waterbury and the clean up efforts that ensued, and we figured our community could benefit from even a little reduction in the amount of trash we create. So this year the Stowe Street Arts Festival is doing it’s part by going green and becoming a bottled water free event!
TB Bank will be pouring water from kegs provided by the Alchemist so bring your reusable water bottle to their booth to stay cool and hydrated without creating more trash! Plus it’s FREE so you can feel good about helping our environment and save some money at the same time – talk about a win/win!